fifty charter members established La Grange Country Club with a vision for golf, athletic and social amenities.
The expansion of new railroad commuter lines westward from the City of Chicago resulted in the establishment of new west suburban villages and the entire area grew steadily. The Village of La Grange had about 4,000 residents when La Grange Country Club was founded and the initial annual membership dues for the Club were set at $25. The Club increased its membership limits to 275 in 1921 to accommodate more members. The Village grew to over 16,000 residents since and membership in the Club continues to grow with neighbors and members from surrounding communities.
La Grange Country Club became one of the earliest golf clubs in the greater Chicago area.
Golf course architect, Herbert Tweedie, designed the first course, a challenging 9-hole layout, located at the southeast corner of 47th Street and La Grange Road. The Club’s original clubhouse, an H. Van Doren Shaw building, was relocated to its current location on Brainard Avenue in 1913 – quite an engineering feat. The design of the new 18-hole golf course at the Club’s new location on Brainard Avenue is attributed to Thomas Bendelow, with major design help from William B. Langford. The 1913 course was designed with a traditional perimeter routing of outer and inner nines. Renovations and enhancements to the golf course have been completed over the years.
In 1997, a Golf Pro Shop, golf cart storage and a new bathhouse were added.
A vibrant tennis program has been part of the athletic endeavors at the Club since as early as 1916. The Club has a Tennis Pro Shop and four lighted Har-Tru Clay Courts and a complete tennis program with adult and junior leagues, competition and instruction. A three-year major golf course renovation project was completed in the spring of 2004 by a leading golf course renovation architectural firm, Cornish, Silva and Mungeam. In 2015, the entire clubhouse underwent a full renovation to portray an updated, shabby-chic design. La Grange Country Club has been a participant in the West District Swim League since 1937, providing strong swimming/diving competition for member’s children. The swimming pool and its programs began operating in 1937 and coming soon, the members will enjoy an all new pool area and new bathhouse in 2019. In addition to the new pool area, members are already having fun at the new Paddle Tennis Courts and Paddle Warming Hut which opened in December of 2018.
La Grange Country Club has also made its mark in both Chicago and National Golf History by successfully hosting the United States Golf Association Women’s Open in 1974 and 1981.